Friday, March 5, 2010

Guest Post: Meredith Kelsey at CH South Africa


“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

-Nelson Mandela

This quote has never been more inspiring and timely than it is right now in my life. My name is Meredith Kelsey and this semester I decided to trade in the comfort of my school dorm room for two big suitcases as I embarked upon a study abroad experience to Cape Town, South Africa.

Unlike an ordinary study abroad program in which I would go from University of Connecticut to another university, I had the opportunity to really become immersed in the culture by also getting an internship dealing with real issues. Being a Human Development/ Family Studies major I was given the opportunity to assist a teacher at Christel House. Christel House is a school with the strong dedication to help children break the cycle of poverty they are immersed in. The school does such wonderful things for these children by giving them a full education, meals and even digs down to the roots of poverty by educating the parents.

I have had the chance to work with the Grade R children for the past two weeks and I can already say that they have completely changed my outlook on life. Without even knowing me for more than five minutes, they welcomed me into their home away from home with huge smiles and hugs. What I have learned the past few weeks at Christel House is that these kids have so much love and joy in there hearts that is just bursting out of there little bodies. These kids need to give and receive love in order to feel joy and at Christel House the teachers truly make that possible each and every day.

Yesterday the children squealed with laughter as they hugged me so hard that I ended up on the ground and I could just feel the joy radiating off of them. The fact that the kids want to be in school as opposed to doing anything else was joy in itself. I know as a child the last thing I wanted to do was be in school, I would rather be doing almost anything else. These children want to learn and it is amazing how there lives will change. I’m so excited for them because I know that they will break the cycle of poverty.

Labels: , ,



Comments:

awesomely inspiring piece of information,most inspiring. I had come to know about your blog from my friend ravi,vizag, I have read at least 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that I had been looking for, I'm already your RSS reader now and I would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, bob marley quotes


 
Post a Comment





<< Home
RSS
Posts
Labels

Archive Donate
Donate

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?