Tuesday, October 20, 2009

CH South Africa gets help from visiting Tar Heels



Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere! My name is Diana Iglesias and I am the newest intern at Christel House South Africa. I arrived here about a month ago as a participant with the Honors Semester Abroad in Cape Town through the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. If any Capetonians have been wondering about the recent Tar Heel invasion of the city, it’s due to the fact that myself and the rest of the students have been doing internships with businesses and NGOs throughout the greater metropolitan area (from the City Bowl, to Ottery, to Khayelitsha), in addition to attending class once a week at the University of Cape Town.

Alexis Ivey, another student on the program, and I were placed at CHSA to work on projects with different departments in the school. Alexis is working with a social worker and plans to develop an anger management workshop series, while I will be partnering with the Arts and Culture teachers. Throughout the next term, I will assist with auditions and rehearsals for Annie Jr. the Musical and help begin a Drama Society at the school. Everyone is very eager about introducing creative expression into the new facilities at CHSA, through murals being painted around the school and the introduction of theatre, dance, and music clubs.

It is a very exciting time to be at Christel House – the buildings are brand-new, the campus has a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains, and the students are brilliant! Just the other day a group of 5th and 6th graders showed me their ability to do the Macarena and told me all about the local food. I was born in Puerto Rico and spent the last two summers in Honduras, so when they proceeded to sing me a song in Spanish with impeccable pronunciation, I was floored. They are all thriving in the environment CHSA provides and never hesitate to show you just how stunningly smart they are. It is absolutely fascinating to listen as they open their minds and spirits to you. Currently, the school is on spring break (yes, it’s getting warmer here) and I can’t wait to resume working with the wonderful people I have met. Look out for photos and videos in the near future!

Labels: , , , , , ,



Comments:
Have a great time this semester! I was at CHSA for the Spring 2008 semester from UConn, and I absolutely loved it. It is an experience I will never forget.
 
Hello, this is a really fas­ci­nat­ing web blog and I have loved read­ing sev­eral of the arti­cles and posts con­tained upon the site, sus­tain the great work and hope to read a lot more excit­ing arti­cles in the time to come. Thank you so much.

 
Hello, this is a really fas­ci­nat­ing web blog and I have loved read­ing sev­eral of the arti­cles and posts con­tained upon the site, sus­tain the great work and hope to read a lot more excit­ing arti­cles in the time to come. Thank you so much.
vi cam tay

 
Post a Comment





<< Home
RSS
Posts
Labels

Archive Donate
Donate

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?