Thursday, November 12, 2009

Same Old Spirit in Bright New Digs


Dr. Deborah Bender, of the University of North Carolina, visited the new Christel House South Africa this summer and shares the impact of her visit...

As the plane lifted from the tarmac at Atlanta’s airport on July 21, 2009 and banked to the right, I knew that I was headed back to Cape Town. I had been there two years ago, in fall 2007, when I served as the Faculty Director for the University of North Carolina—Cape Town Honors Program. Then, I had the opportunity to work with a group of youth from The Christel House School on a pilot service-learning project focused on reducing HIV/AIDS related stigma. I was returning in 2009 on a related research project, but I knew in my heart that the real purpose of my trip was to return to Christel House and greet those remarkable young people again.


As the car that I was riding in passed through the main gate of Christel Houses’ new campus just outside Cape Town proper, I wondered if the youth I had worked with would remember me. I wondered, too, if I would recognize each of them – and remember their names! First, a tour of the new facility was in order. I couldn’t believe the space and the light and the lover that the faculty and staff seemed to shower – even more than on the children – on the new building. I had to admit—it was beautiful. Then, not expecting it at all, I spotted Sipho, kicking a soccer ball around the school yard with three of his friends. Hugs! He had grown – but we both were a little shy at greeting each other again. His friends called and we went to see the dining hall. As I walked out, there was Martha, arms open. She must have known – she completely surprised me. She introduced me to a friend of hers and we quickly became a happy threesome.
Ronald, Sharon and Eunice invited me to the teacher’s room for a bite of lunch. I felt right at home, perhaps because of their graciousness, perhaps because I am a teacher myself.

After the luncheon energy boost, we went to meet the members “Sharing Our Secrets” project. Home coming doesn’t do it justice! It was so wonderful to see them again – and to received their thanks and hugs just for having come back to visit. It was my pleasure! Miss Eunice coaxed a story from each one of them and I marveled at how much they had grown and matured in two years. Sihle told me about having spent a week at a partner school in Stellenbosch. She had addressed the school’s entire student body telling them how she had learned the worth of respect for all people, no matter what their racial background. Banele told me that he was hooked on science and was thinking of becoming a scientist. Sanelisiwe recalled her favorite book in which two preteen girls became close friends despite the different places they had come from. She told me she hoped she would be able to travel like I do and meet people from other places in the world one day. Maybe she will be a teacher, too, she added, almost an after thought. What a joy to see the fruits of the nurturing that staff, teachers and counselors of Christel House had produced.


All good things must come to an end, and soon this afternoon, too, grew to a close. I left the small gifts that I had brought with each of them – a new cloth zipper pencil case, a brightly colored note fresh notebook, and a foot long chocolate Tootsie Roll. You know what the favorite was! Hugs and warm wishes that coincidence would again bring us together ended the day.


(photo courtesy of Deborah Bender)

Labels: ,



RSS
Posts
Labels

Archive Donate
Donate

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?