Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Providing one of the most important of opportunities - an education




Judy Kleiner, Christel House Supporter
 

Early in June, I had the good fortune to visit Christel House Mexico. It was my third trip to this school and my 11thvisit to a Christel House school. For this trip, I brought a family member, Vicki, to see what Christel House is all about.

Sunday was spent exploring the old section (Zolcalo) of Mexico City, visiting the incredible Museo National de Antropolgia and having lunch in a beautiful old style restaurant.  It was all fantastic, but Monday, June 10th, was the big day – visiting Christel House! Joined by Cindy, a generous and passionate supporter of CH, Christel herself, and Joe, CH CFO, we headed out early to the school. We were greeted warmly by the entire student body, faculty and staff.
                                                                                                            
First, there was a welcoming ceremony with current students of all ages, plus alumni of the school, who together joined in singing, dancing, reciting poetry and explaining to us some of the history of their country and city. All of the guests participated in the ceremony when we got to help hand out CH pins to the graduating 9th graders.

Next, each visitor was assigned to student guides from the 6th grade. This was a chance for these students to practice their English and show off their school. We toured every room while our guides explained everything and engaged us in polite conversation asking us about our favorite colors, music and foods etc.

Throughout the classrooms learning was taking place. Students were attentive, well behaved and engaged. There was an energy in every part of the school. The students’ bright and shining faces, clean uniforms and neat hair were in sharp contrast to the environment in which they live.

In the afternoon, we visited the homes of three students. It is truly impossible to understand the hardships and poverty the students and their families endure; however, visiting with the families gets you a little closer. I understood why when one of the students was asked what she liked the best about Christel House she said the computers and the bathrooms. Yet, despite these conditions, you witness the same feelings of hospitality, pride, hope, love, dignity and sacrifice we all experience. You feel the commonality that we all share.

When I got home I did what I always do, I counted my blessings. Chief among them, I happened to have been born into a family with the resources to provide me with many opportunities. I want to help those without that fortune to have at least one of the most important opportunities – an education.

Lastly, I thought how wonderful that I had the chance to introduce another member of my family to my Christel House family.

If you care at all about children, education, teaching or making the world a better place – you HAVE to visit a CH school. This is one of the few places I have found where true and lasting change is happening to transform the lives of children born into poverty.

Please consider contributing to Christel House. This is an organization of truly amazing people doing things everyday that break the cycle of poverty not only for their current students but also for future generations. They deserve our support. And go visit!!! It will change your life and give you hope - I promise!

Labels: , , , , , ,



RSS
Posts
Labels

Archive Donate
Donate

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?